You may learn how to make successful pull requests and get your first valid open source contribution by using this repository.
What's Hacktoberfest 2021?
During the entire month of October 2021, all you have to do is contribute to any open source projects and open at least 4 pull requests. Yes, any project and any kind of contributions. It can be a be a bug fix, improvement, or even a documentation change! And win a T-Shirt and awesome stickers.
If you’ve never contributed to open source before, this is the perfect time to get started because Hacktoberfest provides a large list of available contribution opportunities (and yes, there are always plenty for beginners too).
Why Should I Contribute?
Hacktoberfest has a simple and plain moto.
Support open source and earn a limited edition T-shirt! So, yes! You can win a T-Shirt and few awesome stickers to attach on your laptop. On plus side, you will get into beautiful world of open source and get the international exposure.
Wait there's more!
Code Of Conduct
Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment :
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
- Focusing on what is best for the community
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
- Trolling, insulting/derogatory comments, and personal or political attacks
- Public or private harassment
- Publishing others' private information, such as a physical or electronic address, without explicit permission
Steps to setup this Repository Locally
- Fork this repository to your account.
- Go to Git Bash and Clone the forked repository using : a. Clone the repository
git clone https://github.com/your_username/make-pull-request
- Make your own branch and switch to it before you make your changes.
git checkout -b "<your-branch-name>"
- Open the folder in your favourite code editor and add your changes or modifications.
Creating a PR
- After making changes or modification on to your code locally, you need to add these files to the staging area.
git add <file-name>
- Once files added, you need to commit the changes to with an appropriate commit message.
git commit -m "<your-message>"
- After commiting the changes, you need to push the changes
git push origin "<your-branch-name>"
Once you push the changes to your repository, the Compare & pull request button will appear in GitHub.
Click it and you'll be taken to this screen
Type a proper description and give the PR an appropriate title. Finally, Open a pull request by clicking the Create pull request button.
That's it. You have opened a PR. Wait for it to get merged.