gbsenpai - GB Studio Extended Nominal Player Adaptation/Interface - is a project to port the GB Studio player to additional, non-GB/GBC platforms, with support for potential enhancements.
gbsenpai should be currently compatible with source exports made in GB Studio v2.0.0-beta5. Support for older or newer versions is not guaranteed; v3alpha is currently unsupported.
Porting your game
First, you need to prepare your game's source code.
- Create a directory, for example "source_sample". This will be your "game directory".
- Open GB Studio. From the menu, run Game -> Advanced -> Export project source.
- There should now be a "build/src" directory in your project folder. From there, copy the following files to your "game directory":
- all files from src/data,
- all files from src/music,
In addition, you will need:
- a reasonably recent version of Python 3.x.
From here, the instructions differ depending on port.
The GBA port is currently based on the devkitARM toolchain created by the devkitPro organization, alongside the libtonc library.
- Edit Makefile.gba. In particular:
- Set GAME_DIR to your game directory name,
- Set GAME_CGB to true if your game targets the GBC, and to false otherwise.
make -f Makefile.gba.
- Enjoy. (Hopefully. I've only tested this on Linux...)
gbsenpai is licensed under the terms of the MIT license, similar to the original GB Studio engine.